WD USB-SATA head swap with bad sectors and PW

Moderator: Maxim_TS

jasminehell

WD USB-SATA head swap with bad sectors and PW

Postby jasminehell » 22.05.16, 06:12

It is a wd10jmvw-11ajgs2 drive.
It clicks and i swap the head,n chaged to the sata pcb. While here is the problem,it has ATA passwod (via WD USB encrypt?),which i cant visit either
SA nor the data.
i tried to re connect it with the usb pcb,while due to the head swap ,i guess,there r bad sectors stop it decrypt.
how can i read the SA area n get the data?

DataMedics
User

Re: WD USB-SATA head swap with bad sectors and PW

Postby DataMedics » 23.05.16, 16:52

It's not an ATA password, I can pretty much guarantee that. It could be a problem in the service area preventing access to the user area, so it returns an error whenever you try to read a sector.

Do you have PC-3000?

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 23.05.16, 17:42

jasminehell, It would be great if you show us the error you get when trying to read the SA.
I suppose it is SED error, and in this case you need to follow this manual: http://blog.acelaboratory.com/pc-3000-h ... rives.html
Let us know if it helped.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

AJ2008

Postby AJ2008 » 09.06.16, 12:21

Some of the USB passports implement ATA security but it is linked with the security of the bridge. Usually these are SED cases and can be accessed after removing lock and applying encryption key. Some of the newer MyBook cases have some ATA security set up also.

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 09.06.16, 19:02

AJ2008, do you mean, we need to remove the ATA password manually in some modules in SA, then apply SED decryption? But what to do if PC-3000 can not find the key? I asking because I had a couple of cases last week, where customer lost the encryption PCB for MyBook drive, and PC-3000 could not find any key despite we had full SA access...
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

AJ2008

Postby AJ2008 » 10.06.16, 12:09

Hi Maxim,

Do you remember a case I had before of Giant with ATA security lock? This was 4TB from MyBook enclosure. I managed to read SA and could clear password from it. Problem was related to slow responding problem. After repair I could not decrypt it, no key could be found. I placed back into MyBook enclosure and could not see data. I then restored SA copies before password removal, now ATA lock is set again and inside MyBook enclosure I could see all data.

I also remember ShrekLT from a passport with ATA lock. After removing password from it we could access data with SED key that was autodetected inside utility. For this we could reach all data without enclosure.

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 14.06.16, 11:57

Hi AJ2008,

Of course I remember this case, I knew a lot about new drives :)

Yes, if we work with 2,5" WD drives, the key is always somewhere in a drive: in ROM, SA or in user area.
But if we work with new MyBook drives, the key is in outer PCB, and we can't detect the encryption type and can't decrypt such drives without the original USB-SATA PCB with a key..

ACE developers told me they are working on it now.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 14.06.16, 17:18

AJ2008 wrote:Source of the post Hi Maxim,

Do you remember a case I had before of Giant with ATA security lock? This was 4TB from MyBook enclosure. I managed to read SA and could clear password from it. Problem was related to slow responding problem. After repair I could not decrypt it, no key could be found. I placed back into MyBook enclosure and could not see data. I then restored SA copies before password removal, now ATA lock is set again and inside MyBook enclosure I could see all data.

I also remember ShrekLT from a passport with ATA lock. After removing password from it we could access data with SED key that was autodetected inside utility. For this we could reach all data without enclosure.

AJ ,
This is a beautiful discussion between you and maxim .AJ What Do You Mean By This Comment " before of Giant with ATA security lock " . Well You Managed To Read SA How ? Were You Having a Issue Earlier Reading It ? . How did You Clear The Password [ You Worked On Some Module That Has Password Stored ] . Well Then After Password Clearing You Got The Famous "Slow Responding Problem " . Then After You Repaired " Slow Responding Problem " Your Drive Was All OK But Then Data Was Encrypted ,You Could Not Get Decryption Keys [ This Was Due To The Fact You Cleared Password Storage Modules Completely IMHO ] .Then When You Restored Password Cleared Modules You Could See Data Via Enclosure Controller .This Was Due To The Fact That SA Then Had Encryption/Decryption Keys Backs . Yes I Too Got a Case Long Time Back From Sherk LT Series Exactly As You Described .But These Days i Am Getting Sherk LT's Without SED Set At All And Just With Slow Responding Issue [ Which i Solve By My Own Method Without even Touching Any SA Modules To Perfection ] .
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Visit - > http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com My Facebook - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 14.06.16, 17:21

Maxim_TS wrote:Source of the post Hi AJ2008,

Of course I remember this case, I knew a lot about new drives :)

Yes, if we work with 2,5" WD drives, the key is always somewhere in a drive: in ROM, SA or in user area.
But if we work with new MyBook drives, the key is in outer PCB, and we can't detect the encryption type and can't decrypt such drives without the original USB-SATA PCB with a key..

ACE developers told me they are working on it now.

Maxim ,
Nice To Know That ,Fortunately i Get Mybook External Drives in India Rarely But Western Digital Drives Quite a Lot Brother . BTW i Wanted To Create That Hitachi Arm Thread Also Today
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Visit - > http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com My Facebook - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

Return to “WD USB”