Media Cache fix

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

davidswa1

Media Cache fix

Postby davidswa1 » 12.06.18, 06:23

Hi, I attended the conference in Las Vegas and Mikeal did a great job of explaining the "media cache" fix. However, once back at my lab I forgot a few key procedures. Does AceLab or anyone in the forum have a detailed written procedure on how to fix the media cache? I'm looking for a guide or go-by. Many thanks to all, Dave

DataMedics
User

Re: Media Cache fix

Postby DataMedics » 13.06.18, 17:55

There isn't a precise step-by-step because it all depends on how badly the drive is locked up. In some cases, it's a matter of quickly launching the utility and editing system file 93 by ATA. Other times you've got to do it through terminal with some careful timing of power cycling the drive. In the worst cases, it's two/three hours of fighting with shorting the read channel at precise timing to prevent the drive from locking up.

davidswa1

Postby davidswa1 » 13.06.18, 23:51

Thanks Jared, appreciate your input. Got your pm I’ll contact you soon. Regards, Dave

AJ2008

Postby AJ2008 » 14.06.18, 10:06

MC issues should not take 2/3 hours if done properly. The fix can be done over terminal when shorted correctly (if HDD even needs shorting). You can 'patch' the ROM on families like Grenada (even if they are not with secure boot or other security) and at point of handshake is often good time to short (though this does not apply for all cases).

If Ace show you some method that you want to remember, ask someone from Ace TS over skype, otherwise post here each case you have problems with and hopefully you will get good advice that you can apply to your case and also learn from for future cases :D

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 17.06.18, 20:53

The method they showed us in Vegas isn't possible yet until software update AFAIK. I looked for the new media cache related functions in the drop down menu and they aren't present yet.

Alyn, new method involves reading 348, using "media cache parser" to see error(s), then using "fix timestamp" (if the issue is the corrupt time stamp), save MC module, use a terminal command to clear MC module, then write back fixed MC mod that you saved. I have written instructions, but no point in sharing without update, and I'm hoping Ace will release a blog post once update is released with better/clearer instructions then I have.

Return to “Arch F3”