Lost Sector Map After WEEKS of Imaging

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

DataMedics
Advanced user

Lost Sector Map After WEEKS of Imaging

Postby DataMedics » 06.12.18, 17:31

So I had a drive that literally took two weeks to image by bitmap due to a weak head, but in the end around 99.99% was recovered. I needed to move around some data so the entire task folder was cut and pasted to a different drive (moved from one RAID to anther RAID). I was using the split image files and imaging by bitmap, so it's now a few thousand tiny files in split image files in there.

When I reopened the task, the sector map is now suddenly empty despite the fact that the data is all obviously there.

Is there anyway to repair this Task.fdb file so I can at least copy out the recovered data. Even if it means losing the record of bad sectors, I just need it attempt reading from the split images.

(FYI I already tried opening the split images in Recovery Explorer, but due to the fact that I was imaging by bitmap there are some unread sections throwing off the numbering)

DataMedics
Advanced user

Re: Lost Sector Map After WEEKS of Imaging

Postby DataMedics » 06.12.18, 17:53

Okay, I found a way to at least access the data that was read. Here's what I did:

Create a submap using the legend and selected all the white color sectors. Next, I went to "Change Legend" and set it to be Green. Now it thinks all sectors were read, but at least I can access the recovered data. Just have no record of the bad sectors. Fortunately before I last closed the task I was smart enough to generate a report of bad sector files. I'll just have to manually move those files to the !Problem folder. Fortunately, it's only about 46 files.

Return to “Data Extractor”