Feature request

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

DataMedics
Advanced user

Re: Feature request

Postby DataMedics » 20.06.19, 18:55

I have another feature request I'd like to add. Some of these newer WD SMR drives can tend to go stupid and read all zeros, yet appear as if they are reading good data (green blocks). It'd be nice if blocks that are read, but are all zeros could be a different color of their own to allow clearing/reprocessing of just those sectors.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 15.11.19, 20:35

One more feature I'd like to add a request for. It'd be amazing if DE had the ability to copy data out to an HFS+ formatted drive natively without having to use third-party software like MacDrive. I've found that, especially in recent versions, using DE along with any of these third-party programs is just impossibly unreliable. The system will just hang. I have one case here that I've tried copying the data overnight at least 4 times and every time it randomly just freezes the computer up and stops copying.

A lot of customers here in the USA are Mac-only users so they want their data put on a Mac-formatted drive.

And, if it had the ability to copy out a full-Time Machine Backup folder without duplicating files onto an HFS+ or APFS formatted destination drive, that would be amazing!!!

einstein9
New user

Postby einstein9 » 20.11.19, 12:05

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post One more feature I'd like to add a request for. It'd be amazing if DE had the ability to copy data out to an HFS+ formatted drive natively without having to use third-party software like MacDrive. I've found that, especially in recent versions, using DE along with any of these third-party programs is just impossibly unreliable. The system will just hang. I have one case here that I've tried copying the data overnight at least 4 times and every time it randomly just freezes the computer up and stops copying.

A lot of customers here in the USA are Mac-only users so they want their data put on a Mac-formatted drive.

And, if it had the ability to copy out a full-Time Machine Backup folder without duplicating files onto an HFS+ or APFS formatted destination drive, that would be amazing!!!

I think its really HARD to implement, coz many factors will get involved starting with damn windows not good enough with MAC partitions in general even with 3rd-party apps
better to have or think of having an iMAC for such cases.
Every man dies, but not every man really lives
Kuwait Data Recovery - http://www.unixgtc.com

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 27.11.19, 17:41

einstein9 wrote:Source of the post I think its really HARD to implement, coz many factors will get involved starting with damn windows not good enough with MAC partitions in general even with 3rd-party apps
better to have or think of having an iMAC for such cases.

I've got several macs here, that's not the issue. It'd just save a ton of time if we could go right from DE to an HFS+ formatted drive with a fixed/working/mountable cabinet file. I don't even care if it just did a sort of data export along with filesystem fixup to a blank drive that never gets mounted to Windows. And, when you've got a customer with 5 years of weekly backups from a video editing studio in a time backup who actually wants to preserve the back versions of files, it just becomes impossible because the number of duplicate files would push the size into Petabytes if you copied it to an NTFS formatted drive. But, just one bad sector in the HFS+ cabinet will cause MacOS to refuse to mount the image, so it becomes near impossible to do what they want.

Return to “Data Extractor”