no name on Windows eject drive starting recently - others affected? (Not DE issue)

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

ThomasH
New user

no name on Windows eject drive starting recently - others affected? (Not DE issue)

Postby ThomasH » 14.11.19, 18:51

Starting last week, it seems both my Windows 10 and 7 machines no longer show drive model details when trying to eject drives from Windows.
This makes knowing what drive is what much harder. I haven't put too much time into resolving it yet, and I guess I can just power down destination drives without ejecting, but I thought this was really odd, especially since I'm supposedly blocking Windows 10 updates with an update-blocking app.
It makes swapping destination drives out on a DE machine more complicated.

Has anyone else recently experienced this, or just me?
Attached photo shows what I'm describing - it just shows a generic drive photo and "eject device" option, with no drive model info like it used to show.
eject drive noname.jpg
eject drive noname.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 88 times

d_d_recovery

Re: no name on Windows eject drive starting recently - others affected? (Not DE issue)

Postby d_d_recovery » 14.11.19, 19:41

Spooky. I have exactly the same issues with a W10 machine and W7.
I thought it was strange affecting both systems.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Re: no name on Windows eject drive starting recently - others affected? (Not DE issue)

Postby DataMedics » 15.11.19, 20:38

I've seen this happen a couple of times. Usually when an update is half-installed and waiting for you to reboot the computer to finish the update.

More recently, I've found that drives plugged into the front USB header of my primary workstation don't appear in the eject list at all. They seem to appear to the system as internal hard drives instead. But, if I plug the same drive into the back USB ports it's normal.

I think M$ botched something up here.

Return to “Data Extractor”