Feature request

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

Dmitriy_TS
Site Admin

Re: Feature request

Postby Dmitriy_TS » 24.04.18, 21:20

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post I'd love to have the ability to open a DE task in "work with copy only" mode and have it not linked to or tying up a channel at all. I know I can open up multiple DE tasks in the same instance of the program, but I hate doing that because if the program hangs or goes unresponsive I've got several tasks getting messed up at the same time. So when all my channels are busy imaging drives I'd just like to be able to launch a "work with copy only" task in a separate process.

It's difficult to implement this feature due to drivers for PC-3000. Anyway I will forward it to developers.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

pclab
New user

Postby pclab » 25.04.18, 23:05

I think I good improvement would be that when scanning chains and if the reading speed gets a determined low value (which could be determined) it should skip that chain and move forward.
I get myself many times "baby-sitting" a drive that from times to times have a slow reading at a determined chain and I have to skip it manually or then disable that particular head.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 26.04.18, 21:35

pclab wrote:Source of the post I think I good improvement would be that when scanning chains and if the reading speed gets a determined low value (which could be determined) it should skip that chain and move forward.
I get myself many times "baby-sitting" a drive that from times to times have a slow reading at a determined chain and I have to skip it manually or then disable that particular head.

You can do that through the read timeouts. Just set a low value like 200ms, then enable the box that says "Break copy process if chain contains problem sector" and pick a number of timeout sectors before it skips.

pclab
New user

Postby pclab » 27.04.18, 00:12

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post
pclab wrote:Source of the post I think I good improvement would be that when scanning chains and if the reading speed gets a determined low value (which could be determined) it should skip that chain and move forward.

You can do that through the read timeouts. Just set a low value like 200ms, then enable the box that says "Break copy process if chain contains problem sector" and pick a number of timeout sectors before it skips.

Ah got it.
Thanks

northwind
New user

Postby northwind » 31.05.18, 13:29

I have a request,

we've received an external drive that contained a HGST 4TB 3.5" with a WD USB3.0 bridge that had the JMS encryption chip (obviously due to HGST/WD merge, they're now using HGST drives in WD boxes).
Looking at the sectors, they were indeed encrypted.
DE doesn't allow to apply "decryption" on non-WD drives.
We had to image the drive to a WD drive and use the bridge to decrypt, like the good old days.
Would it be possible to be able to apply decryption to HGST drives as well?
Sandforce SSD Recovery
WD Preferred Lab

lcoughey
New user

Postby lcoughey » 31.05.18, 16:28

northwind wrote:Source of the post I have a request,

we've received an external drive that contained a HGST 4TB 3.5" with a WD USB3.0 bridge that had the JMS encryption chip (obviously due to HGST/WD merge, they're now using HGST drives in WD boxes).
Looking at the sectors, they were indeed encrypted.
DE doesn't allow to apply "decryption" on non-WD drives.
We had to image the drive to a WD drive and use the bridge to decrypt, like the good old days.
Would it be possible to be able to apply decryption to HGST drives as well?

You just need to load a WD utility with the hitachi drive connected. DE will then be able to search and find the decryption key. I've done it several times, it works.

northwind
New user

Postby northwind » 31.05.18, 16:35

Ha, thanks for the heads up. Sometimes we skip the obvious. Will get to it right now.
Sandforce SSD Recovery
WD Preferred Lab

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 07.06.18, 01:08

Can you please add "Wait for ready state" for WD drives (or heck, all drives) and not just Seagate? This is in DE under Active Utility Actions in Loss Of Readiness tab.

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 07.06.18, 01:12

@thatdellguy

Not sure if these features were added this you mentioned these, but both have solutions now.

>5. Can DE produce only a list of good healthy files.
Make a snapshot (or deep scan) of partition then click "create submap using legend," check black/red/wiped/etc (any "bad" or unread sector) and on next pop-up click, excluding.

>2. Use check box for "Run in background". Pop up dialog boxes are annoying and unnecessary.
Options menu, check last option about run in background

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 07.06.18, 03:58

Thanks Brian, I don't remember seeing that option to turn off "Run in background" but it seems to be there now. I wish we could get a change log text for every version that is not announced.

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 07.06.18, 04:37

Me too!

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 05.07.18, 21:43

Another feature I'd love to request is the ability for DE to actually recognize the backup copy of the GPT partition table. It's a real annoyance to have to do disk analysis on a slow drive with a lot of bad sectors when there's a perfectly healthy backup copy at the end of the drive. R-Studio and other programs can immediately recognize the partition scheme from the backup copy, I don't know why DE can't do that.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 16.10.18, 22:33

Here's another feature, one that's absolutely necessary and should be easy enough to add:

Option to automatically send the handshake after power cycling the drive for Seagate F3 series drives. This is especially important when trying to make changes to system file 93 on a drive that doesn't support the T>w command and only allows two seconds of interaction before getting stuck busy.

I managed to work a case using the active utility actions of DE and creating a fake background task to constantly power off/on and send the unlock, but it wasn't the easiest workaround.

northwind
New user

Postby northwind » 17.10.18, 09:52

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post Here's another feature, one that's absolutely necessary and should be easy enough to add:

Option to automatically send the handshake after power cycling the drive for Seagate F3 series drives. This is especially important when trying to make changes to system file 93 on a drive that doesn't support the T>w command and only allows two seconds of interaction before getting stuck busy.

I second this, however when you write 93 and it powers off and on and asks for a handshake, if you press Enter on terminal it will go through and write the changes in 93. You will need to power off/on once again and send the correct handshake after that.
Sandforce SSD Recovery
WD Preferred Lab

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 17.10.18, 21:17

northwind wrote:Source of the post I second this, however when you write 93 and it powers off and on and asks for a handshake, if you press Enter on terminal it will go through and write the changes in 93. You will need to power off/on once again and send the correct handshake after that.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. When you go to write the changes, you're never able to look at the terminal window to press enter (not what you mean by that sending the handshake) you're stuck looking at the box of checkboxes or the view of the system file tab, but you're never looking at the terminal when the write is sent in PC-3000 to even do that.

Regardless, I was able to solve it using DE and the active utility option to continually power it off/on and send the handshake. Then I just had to time it right with reading/writing the module while watching the ata registers.

Return to “Data Extractor”