Feature request

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

zeroalpha

Re: Wish List for Data Extractor

Postby zeroalpha » 19.10.09, 04:49

Could you add start time, speed (mb/s), and estimated finish time for data copying? I always find those details useful.

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 22.10.09, 11:50

It would be nice if the "break copy process" option also worked for files with ECC errors (perhaps as an option).

Dobre

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 23.10.09, 10:30

Also a better functionning of the "skip files" button would be nice.
Now i can click 50 times and it wont react, but sometimes it reacts from the first click :s

Dobre

zeroalpha

Postby zeroalpha » 27.10.09, 06:26

Can we have a function that saves a log of the root or folder directory/file list?

Then you can give the list to the customer and they can tell you which folders to recover.

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 29.10.09, 04:16

Hi,

I observed that some of the params in the Task Parameters window can be changed 'on the fly' and others need the current process to be restarted before taking effect. I would welcome that all the parameters could be changed and take effect even during copying.

pepe

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 29.10.09, 14:28

Pepe wrote:Hi,

I observed that some of the params in the Task Parameters window can be changed 'on the fly' and others need the current process to be restarted before taking effect. I would welcome that all the parameters could be changed and take effect even during copying.

pepe

Or if some parameters required a task restart, than the tool does it automatically without interaction.
(Preventing an idle drive when we clicking to the stop, change, start.)

Janos

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 03.11.09, 04:34

lately I found that it would be useful to have the head map accessible on the toolbar on the right side (where hard and soft reset buttons are) as well.
We've got plenty of space there...

pepe

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 03.11.09, 04:49

:oops: Even more lately I found that this is already done with a submenu of that toolbar... I was just looking over it apparently...

But what I have not found here is an option to select reading method. UDMA/PIO switching would be a good idea on that toolbar.
Also it would be pretty smart if DE was able to set PIO reading when it encounters bad sectors exceeding some presettable amount. After the damaged area was read (no bads found in the past N sectors (N should be presetable also)) DE could turn on UDMA again.
That would be smart... :)

Thx

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 03.11.09, 20:28

Pepe wrote::oops: Even more lately I found that this is already done with a submenu of that toolbar... I was just looking over it apparently...

But what I have not found here is an option to select reading method. UDMA/PIO switching would be a good idea on that toolbar.
Also it would be pretty smart if DE was able to set PIO reading when it encounters bad sectors exceeding some presettable amount. After the damaged area was read (no bads found in the past N sectors (N should be presetable also)) DE could turn on UDMA again.
That would be smart... :)

Thx

Pepe, this is allready done. :P

You can set the UDMA timeout for 100ms, and the util will read the block wich have bads in PIO mode. ;)
I am often use this trick. :D

Janos

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 04.11.09, 09:41

I also use it, but No, it is not the same, as there is some delay (in addition to the 100ms) between reset and getting ready in many cases. Still slower than not even trying to read in UDMA.
At least I experienced so...

pepe

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 04.11.09, 17:50

Pepe wrote:I also use it, but No, it is not the same, as there is some delay (in addition to the 100ms) between reset and getting ready in many cases. Still slower than not even trying to read in UDMA.
At least I experienced so...

pepe

:oops:

Oops, sorry, i have missed that.
This is no switching between PIO and UDMA, but block read and 1 sector read, sorry.

Janos

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 16.11.09, 12:34

I think a "clear map by head" option would be usefull too. (or the option to select the heads in the "clear map" menu)
If we have one or more weak heads which we dont want to stress to much, but we would like to do some additional scanning on another head, this would be usefull.

Dobre

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 18.11.09, 04:54

This one u can achieve by Service->Create submap use heads info.
Then u can select and scan chains...

pepe

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 18.11.09, 11:02

Aha, Thank you pepe.
Wasn't aware of that.

I really wish ace would come out with some up-to-date manuals for all drives brands and DE.
Would save a lot of time.

Dobre

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 18.11.09, 11:17

Previously I cloned by heads using the head map and deselecting the ones I did not need, but it was slow because of skipping sectors.
Then I wrote to TS so that they could reprogram this skipping thing to make it faster, and they pointed me into this direction.
It worked fine for me till now.

Return to “Data Extractor”