Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

N.C.
New user

Re: Wish List for Data Extractor

Postby N.C. » 23.11.09, 12:59

The DE should have an option like this:
"Maximal count for lost of readiness"
This is a counter wich increased by red blocks, and cleared on any other (except black?).
We can set this limit from 1 to 2000 (for example) and this will trigger a new event when we can select what should happen, similar for the reading errors or lost of readiness.
But should have these options too:
- stop the imaging
- poweroff the drive, and stop the imaging
(-poweroff the drive, and standby or poweroff the PC)

This is useful for drives wich needs to read with short readyness-check period, but sometimes still falls to busy forever.
In these drives we need to guard the DE and depends on the model, we should click to hard reset or power cycle manually or stop the process like emergency (head crash)...

Janos

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 24.11.09, 02:30

Another one idea:

[X] in map view, don't follow the process

For let me look around without jumping back to the actual sector. :-)
Sometimes can be good.

Janos

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 01.12.09, 20:13

Another one good ide:

LBA shifting in target drive.

This is because in these days the drives size are really different.
But we can't do 2 image on one target drive, like this:

LBA 0-78M for 40GB drive (1st section)
LBA 80.000.000 to 157M for another 40GB drive (2nd section)

This would be good for reducing the quantity of the target drives on the stock.
This should be logged in the task info and modifyable with warning in the task initialization. (every time)

Janos

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 04.12.09, 13:50

When i making map of files and filling the map chains, i should have a "skip file" or "skip chain" button for highly unreadable files. :)

Janos

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 04.12.09, 16:39

A bad sector report per head would be nice too. Would let us see which head gives most problems.

Dobre

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 06.12.09, 03:01

Since my UDMA's ATA0 ends inside my cleanroom, and the ATA1 ends outside of cleanroom, sometimes i need to move the active case from one channel to another one.
And sometimes i need to replace the destination drive because it is need to be used as a donor, or even replace the source drive (when trying to read with hotswap and the hotswap-donor have only ID), this is why would be good to have an option for re-selecting the source and destination drive of course with warnings.

Janos

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 06.12.09, 03:27

N.C. wrote:When i making map of files and filling the map chains, i should have a "skip file" or "skip chain" button for highly unreadable files. :)

Janos

Sorry, i have found it, this is allready exist. :oops:

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 24.12.09, 04:56

Since my UDMA's ATA0 ends inside my cleanroom, and the ATA1 ends outside of cleanroom, sometimes i need to move the active case from one channel to another one.
And sometimes i need to replace the destination drive because it is need to be used as a donor, or even replace the source drive (when trying to read with hotswap and the hotswap-donor have only ID), this is why would be good to have an option for re-selecting the source and destination drive of course with warnings.

This can be done by creating a new task, setting options, quit , copy map(s) and database from the original task and restart the new task.

pepe

AJ2008

Postby AJ2008 » 24.12.09, 15:19

Also copying new tas files only (task.prm etc) into folder with image files will work also I believe

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 25.12.09, 01:36

Because this is a wish list, i wish Merry Christmas for every user of ACE tools, and for the other people of course! :D

Janos

dataLAB

Postby dataLAB » 21.01.10, 10:06

I know some of these things have been mentioned, but I reiterate them and add some more thoughts.

In Map when copying -
add skip back << and forward >> buttons to allow an operator who is monitoring to force the read to jump. Multiple clicks equals multiple jumps.
I know you can stop, change start/finish/skip then carry on, but i'd like to be able to nudge it on when I can tell its struggling to read a sector.

Allow a right click on the map to give more options in the menu (copy LBA is all at present).
Nice items would be "start/continue from here", "read this one", "mark as bad", "mark as unread", "show hex data in lba"

It would be VERY useful if clicking within the scroll bar advanced 1 page not some tiny number of lba's. It very frustrating when trying to scroll around and the only way to move is by dragging the scroll bar which can jump many many "pages" past were you want to see, then you have to scroll back many many times. If other like the current small jumps, then perhaps a settings item could be used to control the number of LBA's that clicking in scroll bar jumps.

When doing a RAW recovery, it would be good to be able select the specific file type I want (without deleting all the others from the setup list). It can default to all as it does now, but sometimes I only want specific types (like only JPG's or DOC's) this would help when I have a failing drive and a customer only wants very specific files.

When in translator view and drilling down to files, it would be good to be able to determine the LBA that the file starts in (this leads on from the RAW selection) as then I can quickly determine which area certain files are more likely to be and target the RAW search down (accepting that files are often splattered everywhere, but sometimes (especially on non system drives which have plenty of free space, hence less fragmentation, things can be reasonably logically located, or at least the search area narrowed down). Currently it takes me over 24 hours to fully RAW search a 1Tb plus drive. I can't tie up PC3000 that long anymore, too many jobs!!!

Put some kind of symbol (#) beside the task parameters in the popup window that apply immediately, versus those that only apply after a stop/start.

Allow DE to run standalone from PC3000 for drives on the host machines bus (licensed of course). Its a very good tool better than many of our other ones and I would use a few more instances if I could buy it separately (perhaps tied to some network integration of a companies PC3000 units to ensure it is only used legitimately (ie you don't want pirate versions to appear as it would decimate level 1 data recover tasks).

dobrevjetser
New user

Postby dobrevjetser » 02.02.10, 19:57

I dont know if this has been mentionned before (this post has become long :) ), but a visual indication in DE explorer if a file has bad sectors or not would be very welcome also.

This would be very usefull for e.g. the MFT.

Dobre

zeroalpha

Postby zeroalpha » 06.02.10, 15:07

It may have already been brought to your attention, but when I resume my computer from sleep mode PC3000 gives me an error that S/N not found and wont start unless I reboot.

dataLAB

Postby dataLAB » 09.02.10, 10:06

Another feature which DE needs is the ability to breakup files into say 1000 per directory when saving from a RAW recovery. I just did a job which put 120,000 plus JPEGS in a single directory, windows came to a grinding halt and I will spend hours now stripping the files out into multiple directories. A good example of this is the Prosoft Data Rescue product which creates a new directory with incremental numbering after each 1000 files of the same type.

N.C.
New user

Postby N.C. » 02.04.10, 12:58

zeroalpha wrote:It may have already been brought to your attention, but when I resume my computer from sleep mode PC3000 gives me an error that S/N not found and wont start unless I reboot.

You are lucky. :D
For me makes more worse... :D

Return to “Data Extractor”