Feature request

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

-BR-
New user

Re: Feature request

Postby -BR- » 27.01.16, 16:26

I haven´t read the entire thread (sorry for that if requests were already made):

1. Please add solution to Seagate F3 with LOCKED terminal commands

2. Please add option to REMOVE ALL FILE SIZE CALCULATION in DE (Remove ALL = no calculation at all - mark files and start saving immediatelly)
Reason: In some head exchange cases where there is severe damage at media beginning the head can crash while doing nothing waiting for calculation when it could be saving important data!

3. Please add option to REMOVE the annoying FILE CHECK messages when you select files
Some drives have millions of files. It can take FOREVER to check all them
Its so annoying to the point I prefer downgrading to OLD DE to save files faster

4. Please add option to EXPORT from database to PROFILE
(Ex.: PCR TO RPM, ROM and etc.).

Thank you,
-BR-

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 27.01.16, 23:59

-BR- wrote:Source of the post I haven´t read the entire thread (sorry for that if requests were already made):

1. Please add solution to Seagate F3 with LOCKED terminal commands

2. Please add option to REMOVE ALL FILE SIZE CALCULATION in DE (Remove ALL = no calculation at all - mark files and start saving immediatelly)
Reason: In some head exchange cases where there is severe damage at media beginning the head can crash while doing nothing waiting for calculation when it could be saving important data!

3. Please add option to REMOVE the annoying FILE CHECK messages when you select files
Some drives have millions of files. It can take FOREVER to check all them
Its so annoying to the point I prefer downgrading to OLD DE to save files faster

4. Please add option to EXPORT from database to PROFILE
(Ex.: PCR TO RPM, ROM and etc.).

Thank you,
-BR-

A big +1 from me on numbers 1, 2, & 4 here! I never really noticed #3 that much, but the others would be a big help. I expect #1 will take some time, as it's going to take some reverse Seagate engineering. And #4 has new meaning now that Donor Drives dumped their collected resources onto the web for download. Extracting modules one at a time is - staking work.

Edit: HAHA, why is the word p.a.i.n. being moderated out to be - ?

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 23.03.16, 01:53

1. Could someone please add a feature to the "export file list" where it only exports a list of the check marked files and folders?
2. Can we make that list text and not CSV? I have to use R-Studio all the time to get a proper text file list and its annoying.
3. Can we add a save feature to which check marks are used in the export file list box? I only check mark the first two boxes and have to uncheck mark the other boxes every time.
4. Can we add a simple beep from the computer speaker when a bad sector is encountered option box? Maybe even an alert when an imaging session has completed.
5. Can we add an option box to skip a head momentarily when bad sectors are encountered during file imaging? Not to turn off the head for the entire imaging session. Only to turn off the head until it comes around again. Sometimes a head will have bad sectors for many files in a row and I have to manually turn off a head for a few seconds to skip that damaged area. Usually that damaged area is isolated to only one head and momentarily turning it off can skip the bad files and not kill the head.

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 23.03.16, 20:40

1. add a easy to read and browse filelist like Snap2Html from rlvision.com

and +1 for #5 from thatdellguy
5. Can we add an option box to skip a head momentarily when bad sectors are encountered during file imaging? Not to turn off the head for the entire imaging session. Only to turn off the head until it comes around again. Sometimes a head will have bad sectors for many files in a row and I have to manually turn off a head for a few seconds to skip that damaged area. Usually that damaged area is isolated to only one head and momentarily turning it off can skip the bad files and not kill the head.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 26.03.16, 15:02

Add another +1 to #5 above from me as well. It's something I have to sit and do manually all too often, and still one feature where DDI is a better imager in a lot of cases. Head skipping on read error is always my go to for the first pass.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 28.04.16, 02:05

thatdellguy wrote:Source of the post 1. Could someone please add a feature to the "export file list" where it only exports a list of the check marked files and folders?

Thank you AceLabs. No more copying the data to a spare drive just to get a file list of the check marked data. Will save me a lot of time. :thumbup:

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 18.06.16, 03:59

thatdellguy wrote:Source of the post5. Can we add an option box to skip a head momentarily when bad sectors are encountered during file imaging? Not to turn off the head for the entire imaging session. Only to turn off the head until it comes around again. Sometimes a head will have bad sectors for many files in a row and I have to manually turn off a head for a few seconds to skip that damaged area. Usually that damaged area is isolated to only one head and momentarily turning it off can skip the bad files and not kill the head.

Wishing I had this feature right about now...

pclab
New user

Postby pclab » 20.06.16, 13:45

Me too...

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 29.06.16, 23:24

1. Is there any way we can get an "automatic" feature to select hardware retries / UDMA33/66/100/133 depending on the surface condition? File Imaging a drive right now that has multiple surface issues where some areas read super fast on 33 and crawl a few sectors at a time on 133. Sometimes the bad areas click at 133 but not at 33 or 66. I have to manually select the speed on the fly while imaging.

2. Would it be possible to use a microphone/knock crystal to detect instability and turn off the drive in case of loud clicking. Sometimes I have to leave a drive imaging overnight and would rather it turn off at the first click.

3. Set each head at a certain UDMA speed in case of head instability or surface issues.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 21.03.17, 01:09

Here's another feature I'd like to request:

Option to mount a task as an iSCSI target or AoE (ATA over Ethernet) target. This I'd imagine would be easy enough to implement without a ton of work, and would be great for working with filesystems aren't Windows such as HFS+. That way I could just connect to the iSCSI target using a Mac, put in FileVault password, and target only the needed data on a drive that's 10% full and imaging really slowly.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 13.08.17, 23:32

Make Data Extractor a stand alone software able to run on a non-PC3K card computer. When your finished making the image on a PC3K computer, use another computer with a stripped down DE software to open the Task and copy the data. This frees up a PC3K computer to do other jobs. I truly hate waiting a day or more for a huge recovery to copy data when the image is already finished.

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 21.08.17, 08:25

thatdellguy wrote:Source of the post Make Data Extractor a stand alone software able to run on a non-PC3K card computer. When your finished making the image on a PC3K computer, use another computer with a stripped down DE software to open the Task and copy the data. This frees up a PC3K computer to do other jobs. I truly hate waiting a day or more for a huge recovery to copy data when the image is already finished.

I just start multiple PC3000 DE tasks without assigning a port, so all PC3000 ports are free to use and running 3 - 4 copy / DE only jobs simultaneously goes fine.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 21.08.17, 09:04

Yah, I currently do that but just wanted the option to offload it onto another computer.

lcoughey
User

Postby lcoughey » 21.08.17, 17:07

thatdellguy wrote:Source of the post Yah, I currently do that but just wanted the option to offload it onto another computer.

I agree. It can get a little overwhelming having dozens of drives connected to a single system.

Miodrag

Postby Miodrag » 18.12.17, 17:35

Maybe I missed something, but I didn't noticed that there are options to skip saving all files with damages in de (explorer, file saving option). There is option to skip one by one file, but that is totally manual process, and wasting time in case of certain disk zones with defects...

I would love to see the feature like the options on ufs explorer "do not copy files with read errors, empty folders..."

Return to “Data Extractor”