Feature request

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

digitalsupport
New user

Re: Feature request

Postby digitalsupport » 18.12.17, 18:01

Miodrag wrote:Source of the post Maybe I missed something, but I didn't noticed that there are options to skip saving all files with damages in de (explorer, file saving option). There is option to skip one by one file, but that is totally manual process, and wasting time in case of certain disk zones with defects...

I would love to see the feature like the options on ufs explorer "do not copy files with read errors, empty folders..."

Look at the option " interrupt saving for damaged source files" that´s what you are looking for.
empty folders i would like to keep for reporting clear results for clients.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 27.12.17, 00:11

1. Get rid of the "Root" folder creation when copying off data. Have to copy data out of "Root" folder on every recovery now.
2. Use check box for "Run in background". Pop up dialog boxes are annoying and unnecessary.
3. Can we make the DE export list text and not CSV?
4. Can we add an option box to skip a head momentarily when bad sectors are encountered during file imaging? Not to turn off the head for the entire imaging session. Only to turn off the head until it comes around again. Sometimes a head will have bad sectors for many files in a row and I have to manually turn off a head for a few seconds to skip that damaged area. Usually that damaged area is isolated to only one head and momentarily turning it off can skip the bad files and not kill the head.
5. Can DE produce only a list of good healthy files.
6. Make Data Extractor a stripped down stand alone software able to run on a non-PC3K card computer. This way I can offload copy operations to another computer.

lcoughey
User

Postby lcoughey » 27.12.17, 20:53

With #6, I think it would be fair to require a working PC3K to be active on at least one system on the same network as the system running the stand alone version of DE.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 28.12.17, 01:57

thatdellguy wrote:Source of the post 1. Get rid of the "Root" folder creation when copying off data. Have to copy data out of "Root" folder on every recovery now.

You can avoid the root folder issue by just highlighting all the files/folders in the right hand pane and selecting Save on those rather than on the root folder itself. It's not the most convenient way, but it's still better than having to do a copy operation afterward.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 28.12.17, 05:58

Thanks DataMedics, that worked. Thought I tried that before but I guess not. Sad that Ace choose to ignore my support request when they could have told me that.

1. Use check box for "Run in background". Pop up dialog boxes are annoying and unnecessary.
2. Can we make the DE export list text and not CSV?
3. Can we add an option box to skip a head momentarily when bad sectors are encountered during file imaging? Not to turn off the head for the entire imaging session. Only to turn off the head until it comes around again. Sometimes a head will have bad sectors for many files in a row and I have to manually turn off a head for a few seconds to skip that damaged area. Usually that damaged area is isolated to only one head and momentarily turning it off can skip the bad files and not kill the head.
4. Can DE produce only a list of good healthy files.
5. Make Data Extractor a stripped down stand alone software able to run on a non-PC3K card computer. This way I can offload copy operations to another computer.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 28.12.17, 13:36

Oh I see what your talking about now. Highlighting the right pane prevents the root folder. Pretty crummy if you have tons of checked/unchecked folders. Hopefully this doesn't take six months to fix.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 12.01.18, 05:38

Features not requested:

1. "Root" folder creation.
2. "Out of memory" error while imaging files. Entire process ends and spits out error.
3. Annoying "Run in background" option pop up box.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 13.01.18, 22:45

thatdellguy wrote:Source of the post Features not requested:

1. "Root" folder creation.
2. "Out of memory" error while imaging files. Entire process ends and spits out error.
3. Annoying "Run in background" option pop up box.

#1 is a bit annoying, but you can get around it by highlighting all the files/folders in the right-hand pane and selecting to save by right clicking there. Hopefully they'll resolve this on the next update.
#2, I've never seen this issue. How much RAM do you have? I've got 32Gb and this never seems to happen on my system.
#3. It would be nice to have an option to disable this pop-up message or just remember your answer. I do however like the option to keep an imaging task going in the background while still being able to browse the file system. If used effectively it could be a time saver since you can be doing the complete image while seeking out the specific files the customer said were most critical to them. So I hope they keep this feature and just add the option to set a default for it.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 23.01.18, 06:41

32GBs ram and loving it!
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (3.97 KiB) Viewed 5321 times

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 23.01.18, 07:19

FYI: A new update is out but no details.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 27.03.18, 20:09

So here's another DE feature I'd like to float out there:

A dynamic UDMA/PIO switching reading mode where it'll read in UDMA normally until it hits a read timeout or error. Upon hitting any timeout or error it'd switch to PIO mode (possibly with a smaller read block size too) to read through the damaged area. After a certain number of error-free blocks are read in PIO mode (indicating it's probably past the damaged spot), it'll then switch back to UDMA mode automatically.

I often find myself manually doing this since PIO at a small block size usually reads better through the damaged areas but is slow reading in the good regions.

shahi
New user

Postby shahi » 07.04.18, 22:42

There should be Partition Search option in DE by specic LBA. Also reverse partion scan should be added thatss helpful when patient drive has serious bad sectors in first few lba s

AJ2008

Postby AJ2008 » 09.04.18, 09:44

shahi wrote:Source of the post There should be Partition Search option in DE by specic LBA. Also reverse partion scan should be added thatss helpful when patient drive has serious bad sectors in first few lba s

Cant you RAW scan for superblocks/boot records at specified LBA by making map?

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 10.04.18, 23:36

Here's another feature I'd like to request, perhaps even just as a feature for those of us who have the Express version and regularly are multitasking on a single system.

I'd love to have the ability to open a DE task in "work with copy only" mode and have it not linked to or tying up a channel at all. I know I can open up multiple DE tasks in the same instance of the program, but I hate doing that because if the program hangs or goes unresponsive I've got several tasks getting messed up at the same time. So when all my channels are busy imaging drives I'd just like to be able to launch a "work with copy only" task in a separate process.

thatdellguy
New user

Postby thatdellguy » 11.04.18, 01:23

thatdellguy wrote:5. Make Data Extractor a stripped down stand alone software able to run on a non-PC3K card computer. This way I can offload copy operations to another computer.

Return to “Data Extractor”