Change ports on DE recovery jobs

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

Miodrag

Change ports on DE recovery jobs

Postby Miodrag » 01.02.18, 14:08

Can somebode explain how to change/modife bin files so I can continue DR job on another pc3000 ports.
example: Started on port 0 and 1, and want to continue with job on ports 2 and 3

Thanks in advance

AJ2008

Re: Change ports on DE recovery jobs

Postby AJ2008 » 01.02.18, 14:17

Open your task using the channel you want to switch it to. On task initialization there is an option to change port - check this option and select the relevant port

Miodrag

Postby Miodrag » 01.02.18, 16:50

I know that option, but you can change only one port with it, you have a error that destination drive is missing. I need a option to continue DR job from the ports 0 (drive for recovery) and 1 (destination drive) to 2 and 3 with same integrity.

lcoughey
User

Postby lcoughey » 02.02.18, 19:30

If it says the destination drive is missing, it will show you the list and you can re-select it from the menu of destination drives it will prompt you with.

lcoughey
User

Postby lcoughey » 02.02.18, 19:32

...when you say ports 0 & 1, are you saying you are imaging from one channel to the other? You don't need to do that. You can connect your destination drive directly to your systems SATA port (or USB3, if necessary), allowing you to have 4 tasks running simultaneously.

edbrandt
New user

Postby edbrandt » 18.11.18, 00:37

The question here was if it was possible to change the ports. I have run into the same issue here; Source drive connected to 1 and task was originally set up with destination to file because the customer would drop off a new drive for his files later.

He did yesterday, and I plugged it into sata 3 before I left office. Now I want to change destination in task to sata 3 (working remote from home). Is that possible?

Thanks,
-Espen

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 18.11.18, 03:48

When you first re-open the task there is an option in one of the pop-up menus to switch the port. Works fine for me.

edbrandt
New user

Postby edbrandt » 18.11.18, 16:07

This popup?

de-task.png
de-task.png (18.95 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

But what exactly are you changing here? Source or Destination?

-Espen

hdd00

Postby hdd00 » 19.11.18, 07:00

Source...You can not change the destination once you've started a task because all info about sectors read , head map ,etc is on that destination....If you change it all that info is lost.
So, to change the destination you must create a new task.

edbrandt
New user

Postby edbrandt » 19.11.18, 11:49

Ok, thanks

-Espen

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 19.11.18, 16:18

hdd00 wrote:Source of the post You can not change the destination once you've started a task because all info about sectors read , head map ,etc is on that destination

No, it's not. That info is all saved in the tasks folder, not on the destination drive. The only thing found on the destination drive is the cloned sectors.

I don't ever connect my destinations to PC-3000 channels, always directly to the motherboard, so I don't know if it's possible to switch destination channels when it was on there. I do know that if the destination is connected to the motherboard it'll just recognize the drive from its ID and continue using it.

lcoughey
User

Postby lcoughey » 19.11.18, 16:53

1. you can easily change the destination port (at least when you have the destination connected directly to the system board) when you open the task, as the task will notice that the drive is not connected to the same port and prompt with a list of connected drives...you simply select the same drive on the new port and keep going
2. you can change destination drives, but you would need to clone the original destination to the new one so that your read sector map matches the sectors on the clone
3. as @DataMedics mentioned, it is better to clone channel to system port, rather than channel to channel. This way, you can have a separate recovery going or each channel you have, increasing your throughput, as well as increasing the chances of having a channel free for diagnosing new projects while working on other cases

ThomasH
New user

Postby ThomasH » 19.11.18, 17:45

I think the issue here is whether the destination was originally a pc3k port or a generic system port, and I've run into the issue discussed.
I could be wrong, but from my experience:
If the DE task used a generic system destination port, it can be switched easily.
But, if the task's destination port was originally selected as a pc3k port, I don't think it can be changed later to a generic system port...at least, I never figured out how.
I can't remember if you can switch to a different pc3k destination port... maybe, but this issue is just another reason to use generic destination ports.

hdd00

Postby hdd00 » 20.11.18, 08:05

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post
hdd00 wrote:Source of the post You can not change the destination once you've started a task because all info about sectors read , head map ,etc is on that destination

No, it's not. That info is all saved in the tasks folder, not on the destination drive. The only thing found on the destination drive is the cloned sectors.

When I said destination I was referring to a folder as "destination", not to a drive ....Of course when you have a drive as destination , all the task files are saved separated in the task folder.

Return to “Data Extractor”