Client has insanely long path names on his directories.

Data recovery from Hard Disk Drives with logical problems

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

osity
User

Client has insanely long path names on his directories.

Postby osity » 15.12.18, 02:08

The client has 'new folder' within 'new folder' about 10 times to deter people from viewing his files.
When I save in DE, the system seems to copy over the main folder, but not the contents of the very long directories.
How do you guys handle strange clients that store their data like this?

DataMedics
Advanced user

Re: Client has insanely long path names on his directories.

Postby DataMedics » 17.12.18, 00:23

I've never found it to cause any issues. I honestly try to never even look at the customer's data if I can help it. Are you sure you're not just trying to save to a drive in the wrong format? Some older filesystems like FAT have limitations on file and folder name length, so that can cause an issue if you're trying to do that.

Try formatting the destination to the same format the original drive was in. Problem solved.

osity
User

Postby osity » 17.12.18, 01:27

The customer actually told me he creates about 15 folders to put his data into. All folders are empty until you get to the 15. My issue of not getting all the files may actually have been because I forgot to scan the MFT after imaging it . I’m trying to resave the files again now.

osity
User

Postby osity » 18.12.18, 22:25

Problem solved.
PC3K will miss the files with long pathnames if the dir path is too long, likely to do with an OS limitation.

You can get those files by navigating to them and saving them individually by choosing "save current folder" option in pc3k.

Return to “Data Extractor”