Unknown Partitions

Moderators: Filipp_TS, Alex_TS

odedshankar
New user

Unknown Partitions

Postby odedshankar » 13.05.15, 12:51

Hi Guys,

I got a Toshiba Laptop HDD 640GB 2.5" which the customer advised that was faulty and replaced by a tech.
He advised that he had 2 partitions C & D and he needed data from both.
He advised that the tech managed to extract everything from C Partition but couldn't see D partition at all.
I imaged the drive first using DDI and had 120 bad sectors but managed to get them all so no dramas here.
But when i accessed the drive could see only C, after complete scan with several tools, i can't see D partition only few partitions of a type i am not familiar with.
Did anyone experienced something similar? that is the first time i see this.
See image below:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/495 ... n-Tree.jpg

Cheers

AJ2008

Re: Unknown Partitions

Postby AJ2008 » 13.05.15, 13:03

0x42 is extended partition marker and is required due to limitations in the volume of partitions possible in basic MBR tables. I remember a case where client had over 20 partitions present, each one I had to save individually...

For this case did you mount it and check it with other software like r-studio that may better identify any active volumes?

odedshankar
New user

Re: Unknown Partitions

Postby odedshankar » 13.05.15, 13:39

Hi Mate,

I tried to scan it with R-STUDIO and it sees lots of partition as EFISECTOR FAT12 type - so don't know. Didn't get real result.
But i tried now MiniTool and it sees this volume as spanned NTFS so i'm giving it a try - scanning it now - will see how it goes.

Cheers

Return to “Toshiba native”