Momentus 7200.4 half capacity after translator regen.

Moderator: Dmitriy_TS

Igor
Site Admin

Re: Momentus 7200.4 half capacity after translator regen.

Postby Igor » 28.04.11, 10:55

Hello everybody.

Here I'm going to describe manual procedure of translator recovery on F3 drives, hope it would be useful.
Sometimes after translator regeneration you can read only first part of surface and then need to run translator recovery.
But this procedure may end with the following error.
"Translation "fork" direction detection ambiguity ! Correct it manually !".
It occurs because utility can not detect bad sectors properly.
Bad sectors might be located before the place where it stopped (left "fork") and after this place (right "fork").
First unreadable sector.JPG
First unreadable sector.JPG (41.48 KiB) Viewed 6661 times

First of all you must find the first unreadable place.
Procedure terminates on some certain sector (you can see number of this sector in the log of the procedure). Open sector editor and try to read some sector which situated before that sector from the log.
So last readable sector is found.
Then you should try to read first unreadable sector using utility. Open HDD read/write options, select "Use utility", then click on "NO" when utility will ask you "Transmit data in spite of read error" and take a look inside sector(if sector is unreadable again, you should click on YES).
Then you can see two situations:
Right "fork" and left "fork".

Right "fork" - first unreadable sector contains bytes almost all zeros or sevens. After first unreadable sector could be similar sectors. Before first unreadable sector there are sectors with data.

Left "fork" - first unreadable sector contains data, but before it there is sector (or several sectors with almost all zeros)

You should add in translator sectors with zeros. In case of right "fork" - first unreadable sector (and probably several sectors afterwards), in case of left "fork" - sector (or several sectors) before first unreadable.

So you have detected sectors which needs to be added into translator. Next stage is adding.

You need to open Defects List from Tools->Defect List edit.
Create a new defect list by clicking first icon on top panel.
Add that region. Enter the first bad sector number and the number of bad sectors ahead.
When defect is added into Defect list, right click defect record and select "Hide to slip list" command.
Then proceed with "translator recovery" from the sector you have added. Repeat that for each bad sector, Seagate utility will
not understand.
In the end you will have the access to user data.

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 12.05.11, 12:46

Hi,

This solution works fine as long as there were no grown defective sectors before the whole problem arose.
If there were, the algorythm will find these ones as false positives and adding these too will cause the whole thing not working. Or are there any measures to avoid false positives?

There is a pretty easy fix for these issues, but once the lists were manipulated and screwed up, it is a PITA anyway.

pepe

Igor
Site Admin

Postby Igor » 13.05.11, 11:04

Hello Pepe

What grown defective sectors do you mean?
Utility searches sectors that grown after first scanning (after creating P list), during post process scanning.
These sectors were added directly into translator.
When you make solution for 0Mb, you regenerate translator using P list only. And translator looses records about post process defective sectors.
So after translator regenerating you can read till first post process defective area.
Utility can add these areas pretty good if they consist of zeros or sevens (it should consist of zeros or sevens), but sometimes HDD shows such sectors like zeros with some garbage. That is why utility stops. It can not distinguish real sector with data and bad sector with some garbage.

Pepe
New user

Postby Pepe » 14.05.11, 00:08

Hi Igor,

I know exactly what the problem is, i had solution for this thing since 2008.
I was asking wether the util can distinguish between the sectors that were added during the post processing and the grown defects that grew during the normal use.
But i see the util is checking for 00 and 77, which can give it a clue indeed, but only if the user data is not all 00 or 77 (the latter is rare of course) at the actual place.

However there is a far easier, stable, quick solution for these issues, Ace solution can be useful once somebody screwed the drive up by messing with defect lists...

regards,
pepe

sigmaalv

Postby sigmaalv » 09.06.11, 11:44

hi pepe,

its very interesting that u have pretty easy method for this issue. i have faced many cases regarding with this issue. but none of them recoverd. most of the drives arrives with busy problem. so we want to issue m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 command to get drive ready. after that we get sector reading error. i understand some easy fix for this issue before traslation regeneration command. and i realy beilive that some magic can be done with V40 ( non resident glist) command before regenerating translator. any help regarding with V40 command would be appreciated.

regards
sigmaalv

drdoc
New user

Postby drdoc » 10.02.12, 20:29

Hey Pepe -

I think I have a seagate with this situation.

I posted a long post here.

"Seagate translator recovery questions"
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7524

What do you suggest?

Thanks
Wayne
Alandata Data Recovery

Return to “Arch F3”