Task Error in DE

Moderator: Maxim_TS

markrocketrepairs

Task Error in DE

Postby markrocketrepairs » 14.02.18, 13:54

Hi guys
I hope someone can help out

I have got a WD WS20NMVW-11EDZS6 2TB USB Drive
The drive was not spinning up correctly.
I changed the logic board from its original USB PCB 0260-771961-001 Rev B to a SATA PCB 0206-771960-000 Rev A
I also swapped the U12 BIOS IC over to the SATA PCB.

The drive now shows a "Ready State" when drive is first powered up, when I then open a new task the system throws up an error saying "Error : Create Task - DeterminateSource - Error while reading drive's ID!"

Is there a way round this
Any help is much appreciated.

AJ2008

Re: Task Error in DE

Postby AJ2008 » 14.02.18, 14:03

Probably it reaches DRD DSC state and one of two situations are present:

1) Heads are failed and ready state is achieved from ROM in Kernel mode only after spindle stops
2) Drive has some error with defect relocation process (search slow responding fix at this forum or the blog) and on attempts to read BSY flag is present and device is not identified.

Can you enter the WD utility and see good ID? Does spindle shutdown when you see DRD DSC?

markrocketrepairs

Postby markrocketrepairs » 14.02.18, 16:22

Hi AJ2008
Thanks for the quick reply

The drive does not get ID with WD utility either on Auto or manual selection, and it does not spin down when DRD and DSC are green

AJ2008

Postby AJ2008 » 14.02.18, 17:11

2) Drive has some error with defect relocation process (search slow responding fix at this forum or the blog) and on attempts to read BSY flag is present and device is not identified.

You need to include more information, this is very vague and could relate to a number of different issues such as non-native ROM, SED lock, overflowed relo list, prior recovery attempts could leave ROM in a state of blocked etc. I assume the problem relates to what I have quoted above from my last post, but I am not sure right now.

When it shows DSC DRD, you enter WD utility - does family selection appear, does ID show as incorrect or not at all, does BSY flag show in addition to DSC DRD when attempting to enter utility? Is ROM native?

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 25.02.18, 11:07

Well,
These Drives Are a Treat To Recover .Block SA Access ,Power Drive ,Go to Kernel Mode ,Read Dir Module And Overlay Loaders To Ram .Quit Utility Try To Enter Utility Again And It Might Take You To Normal Mode ,If yes Do SA Structure Test And Report By .If you get a error when you are uploading dir module and loaders into ram please report by .
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Visit - > http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com My Facebook - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

Return to “WD USB”