USB thumb stick displays files for a second, then disconnects

Typical Flash recovery cases

Moderators: Roman_TS, Dmitriy_TS, Filipp_TS

edbrandt

USB thumb stick displays files for a second, then disconnects

Postby edbrandt » 12.12.18, 16:51

Hi

I have this Kingston thumb stick (16 GB) with a dead controller. Tried chip off, but result wasn't too good.

Anyway; I found a donor stick and moved memory chips over to it, and the drive is detected. However; when clicking on the drive letter, Windows Explorer takes about 10-12 seconds before displaying the file structure - but at the same second it does, the drive is disconnected by Windows (usb device not recognized).

Anyone knows why?

By the way.. Drive letter is not visible as a source drive in PC-3000 Flash, despite it has a drive letter in Windows Explorer.

Thanks

-Espen

DataMedics
Advanced user

Re: USB thumb stick displays files for a second, then disconnects

Postby DataMedics » 12.12.18, 21:55

I'd probably use ddrescue in Linux to try cloning it. That way it won't be getting mounted by the OS and might stay online long enough to clone.

jerema

Postby jerema » 16.12.18, 11:06

Try cloning with dataextrator from the pc3000portable or Pc3000udma when the usb drive removes itself after a while.
You can continue the cloning after removing and new connecting.

edbrandt

Postby edbrandt » 28.12.18, 11:49

Thanks to both of you for good suggestions. It was not possible to keep the thumb stick connected more than a second at the time - so eventually I gave it up.

Anyway; it seemed like I had saved most of the important data through the chip-off recovery so it wasn't necessary to use more resources on the device.

Return to “Data Recovery from NAND Flash memory chips”