Intel H10 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane NVMe troubles - Is there a trick?

Moderators: Roman_TS, Filipp_TS, Sergey_TS

ThomasH
New user

Intel H10 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane NVMe troubles - Is there a trick?

Postby ThomasH » 26.05.21, 18:57

I'm on my 4th recent Intel H10 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane NVMe HBRPEKNX0202AH drive, and I think all, or at least 3 of 4 had a very similar issue where the drive seems to read 1,000,215,216 sectors very but in which the file system is totally screwed and deep scanning produces basically no user data results. I've read them in:

1) A USB-NVMe adapter
2) direct-connected to an NVMe port on an intel 8th gen with suggested optane drivers installed (I think),
3) in the original laptop (booting from a R-Studio emergency usb boot drive)(although the customer in this current case had flashed/updated the BIOS, so I don't have original config),
4) with Deepspar DPI NVMe attachment.

However, the file system seems like it's either damaged, missing a lot, or perhaps a fresh failed Windows install.
Maybe the customers are accidentally reinstalling windows, potentially over an encrypted original install, but I worry this might be different.

I worry that perhaps the 32GB optane part is storing data that is crucial, but I've read contradicting things about whether this is just a cache that would have duplicated files vs added on.
I'm not sure if this is something the drive handles on its own, or if it's managed through BIOS/Optane drivers.

There are some Intel Optane programs that can be installed, and I've seen photos that show that software recognizing the 32GB optane part separately, but at least in my attempts, I was never able to see even a known-good donor as anything but a single disk, even after installing the Intel-suggested RAID drivers and software.

Has anyone else encountered these and figured out if there is a special way to access these that might present a different outcome?
I worry I'm missing something since it's a unique drive, and since the results are odd, despite the drives seeming to read all sectors with corrupted file system.
But, it could be (and seems to be I guess), just coincidence and the customers or the way the drives are failing is just ruining the data / failing Windows reinstall/repairs, and the original partitions were probably encrypted... or maybe the TRIM kills the old data (though scrolling through hex does show huge remnants of non-zero data in my examples, so probably encryption.)

ThomasH
New user

Re: Intel H10 512GB SSD + 32GB Optane NVMe troubles - Is there a trick?

Postby ThomasH » 03.06.21, 09:24

One extra peculiarity that I'm 98% sure about is that both 'bad' drives I currently have initially detected in the motherboard's secondary m.2 socket, but after installing the RST Optane Windows drivers and something that updated my motherboard's bios (from intel, not the mb manufacturer), neither of the 2 'bad' drives even detect any more in that port, yet the good donor I have still does.
This makes me wonder if it actually is something that's failed on the ssd that is only observable (such that it stops detection) once the optane-enabled drivers and bios is installed.
Note: the 'bad' drives still detect via the other means (usb, and pcie nvme adapters).
or
This could just be a wild goose chase, I don't know.

Return to “Other NVMe drives”