PALMAR SLOW FIX

Moderator: Maxim_TS

betty
New user

Re: PALMAR SLOW FIX

Postby betty » 09.05.19, 15:21

Maxim_TS wrote:shahi, Indeed, Slow Responding Fix is not recommended to apply for SpyGlass and Palmer drives because of new 02 module structure.
ACELab developers are working on it.
But, the new version allows to get SA access, edit head map in RAM, build head map in DE, it's a very useful features, isn't it?

Maxim,
Is it possible to get recover the Palmar,Spyglass without help of "Unlocked PCB" ? I mean only PC3000 is not sufficient for those family (hdd) ?

betty

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 09.05.19, 17:56

betty, For now the unlocked PCB is necessary to work with Palmer drives.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

shahi
New user

Postby shahi » 10.05.19, 20:48

Maxim_TS wrote:Source of the post shahi, Indeed, Slow Responding Fix is not recommended to apply for SpyGlass and Palmer drives because of new 02 module structure.
But, the new version allows to get SA access, edit head map in RAM, build head map in DE, it's a very useful features, isn't it?

Yes, definitely. I dealt palmar more easily due to new version.

lasek wrote:Source of the post But to get access to SA needed is unlocked PCB also with the last version PC-3000?

Yes, you need to buy UNLOCKED PCB

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 12.05.19, 01:06

lasek wrote:Source of the post But to get access to SA needed is unlocked PCB also with the last version PC-3000?

Correct (but you can get SA access using Spyglass on older version PC3K; still need unlocked PCB).

Fraser Corrance

Postby Fraser Corrance » 29.05.19, 19:41

Hello all!

Anybody know what is different about these 'unlocked' PCBs? I see a few people out there selling these drives as 'unlocked' but for a ridicules amount. I would be very curious what the difference is in the firmware that makes these drives such a - in the butt to work on.

If anyone knows, please do share. :-)

Thanks.

Fraser

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 03.06.19, 19:02

Fraser Corrance wrote:Source of the post I would be very curious what the difference is in the firmware that makes these drives such a - in the butt to work on.

For one, the PCB is SED locked inside itself. You literally can't even read the ROM short of removing it and reading by an external programmer. So the unlocked ones are PCBs that don't have the built in SED lock. Most likely these are getting sourced from a country where this type of encryption is regulated by local laws so it's factory disabled.

Then there's the issue of the translator. Apparently, with these, the translator is built/updated as data is added to the drive. The problem is, certain firmware operations and even swapping heads that aren't fully compatible can cause the translaor to reset and all data will be returned as 00 00 because it thinks there's no data there and doesn't even try to access the sectors.

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 26.06.19, 17:39

Fraser Corrance wrote:Source of the post what the difference is in the firmware that makes these drives such a - in the butt to work on.

A few unlocked PCBs we have worked with were produced before July 2017, so maybe we should take the date of manufacture into account.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 01.08.19, 06:04

Maxim_TS wrote:Source of the post shahi, Indeed, Slow Responding Fix is not recommended to apply for SpyGlass and Palmer drives because of new 02 module structure.

Hello,
In Reality While Working On Palmer And Charger These Are My Observations .

1 : If Drive Has Bad Sectors " Converstion To SATA Or Shifting ROM To a SATA Board " Locked MCU/Unlocked MCU Is All What It Takes For a Complete Data Recovery ,Absolutely No Need For Headmap
2 : If The Drive is Clocking And Headswap is done and after that it Works Then I Would Say You Can Use Same Method As Statement 1 , Headmap Again Is Not a Issue
3 : If The Drive is Slow Responding And You Did a Headswap And Even After That Same Condition ,Then No Point In Working On Drive Locked/Unlocked PCB Does Not Matter

Unlocked PCB Usage

1 : Getting a Kick That You Now Have Access To Firmware :mrgreen:
2 : Headmap Creation Were You See One Platter/Head Degradation And You Wanna Clone Your Drive " or Multiple Places of Platter Degradation " , But The Issue is That Such a Drive Enters Slow Responding Stage And Then Solution is PITA Then

PS : So Unless There is No Solution For Palmer/Charger Slow Responding ,Unlocked PCB Or Locked PCB Does Not Make a Difference ,I Get One Of The Most Worst Cases In North Of India FRom Entire India Plus People Abroad ,I Am Yet To See a Case Were Unlocked PCB Would Be Worth It ,So Please Try And Get a Solution To Solve This in Palmer / Charger Issue ,I Was Told Acelab Utility Can Do Slow Fix In RAM But If Developer Is Not Sure Of The Structure Of Mod 02 How Will They Do This in RAM So According To Me It Was a Story Released By Someone Thats Wrong Atleast Till Today .I Would Appreciate If We Can Know The Development / Progress In Western Digital Palmer , Charger , Pebbleb And Spyglass And Anticipated Road map of solution release ,I would be happy to share by experience if any of you guys need
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Visit - > http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com My Facebook - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

odedshankar
New user

Postby odedshankar » 16.08.19, 02:20

I agree with Amarbir, found the same observations to be correct.
Maxim, is there any road map or Anticipated solution offer for these case in PC3K?

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 16.08.19, 20:00

odedshankar, recently we had one case with Palmer which worked very slow. We wrote 32 module from backup of another Palmer drive, and the data began to read much faster. We tried that only in one HDD, didn't have time to check on another drives, so it would be great if somebody try and let us know if it works on another drives.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

300ddr
User

Postby 300ddr » 16.08.19, 20:38

Maxim: did you confirm, once it was reading fast, that all the sectors were "good data" and not all "00000"?

Maxim_TS
Site Admin

Postby Maxim_TS » 19.08.19, 12:00

300ddr, yes, we got good data from the drive.
With best regards
ACELab technical support
ts.acelaboratory.com
blog.acelaboratory.com

Return to “WD Marvell”