Surface BitLocker-TPM

Moderators: Roman_TS, Filipp_TS, Sergey_TS

Magnext

Surface BitLocker-TPM

Postby Magnext » 15.08.19, 17:46

A customer came in with a Surface Pro3-256GB model. The device is bowed, looks like someone sat on it. It will not power on at all. Pulled the mSATA drive(SKhynix-HFS256G3AMNB-2200A). Hooked it up to PC3000, as I suspected the drive is encrypted with BitLocker(TPM). Have not ran into this problem when the device is completely dead. Anyone know the best way to tackle this problem. I am curious if there is a way to pull the key of the chip that has the TMP. Or am I stuck getting the surface its self to power on.

Thanks

digitalsupport
New user

Re: Surface BitLocker-TPM

Postby digitalsupport » 15.08.19, 20:41

And you can not add virtual and open the drive with the recovery key?

Magnext

Postby Magnext » 15.08.19, 21:43

digitalsupport wrote:Source of the post And you can not add virtual and open the drive with the recovery key?

The customer did not even know the device was encrypted. I have had a few cases similar come in. Though in the other cases the device booted, so I just had to get the drive functional, connect to the device. Power on and let the TPM do its job. My issue here is I have not been able to get the device to boot. I know you can sniff the key but again that is during boot, so not useful in this case. Wondering if anyone has success getting the key removing the TPM chip or another route.

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 18.08.19, 10:37

But BitLocker asks for a recovery key right ?

GuideRecovery
New user

Postby GuideRecovery » 18.08.19, 13:42

pc3000 can access some preloaded bitlocker drives without inputing any key, just add an encrypted drive in DE utility and see if it works !
Regards
Wasim Zafar
Professional & Cost Effective Data Recovery Services in Pakistan
https://mindmergepk.com

Magnext

Postby Magnext » 19.08.19, 15:20

digitalsupport wrote:Source of the post But BitLocker asks for a recovery key right ?

If the device is working properly. No it will not ask for a key. It automatically gets the key from the TPM(Trusted Platform Module).

Magnext

Postby Magnext » 19.08.19, 15:21

GuideRecovery wrote:Source of the post pc3000 can access some preloaded bitlocker drives without inputing any key, just add an encrypted drive in DE utility and see if it works !

Ya tried that, did not work. Looks like I am stuck trying to get this surface working again.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 19.08.19, 15:26

Have them log into their Microsoft account and see if there is a key saved in there. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/r ... rosoft.com

I've had several of these, they never remember setting up encryption because it defaults on these devices. But, it prompts them to create / log into a M$ account and then saves the recovery key. In every case I've seen we managed to get the key from their account.

Magnext

Postby Magnext » 19.08.19, 16:25

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post Have them log into their Microsoft account and see if there is a key saved in there. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/r ... rosoft.com

I've had several of these, they never remember setting up encryption because it defaults on these devices. But, it prompts them to create / log into a M$ account and then saves the recovery key. In every case I've seen we managed to get the key from their account.

I did forget about this. Last few I have seen were dell, they do not seem to save like they are suppose to from my experience.

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 19.08.19, 18:38

If Surface was part of domain, recovery key is stored in AD

GuideRecovery
New user

Postby GuideRecovery » 19.08.19, 19:48

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post Have them log into their Microsoft account and see if there is a key saved in there. https://account.microsoft.com/devices/r ... rosoft.com

that is true, I just recall we did a recovery of a surface pro and customer was able to get recovery key from Microsoft Account.
Regards
Wasim Zafar
Professional & Cost Effective Data Recovery Services in Pakistan
https://mindmergepk.com

Magnext

Postby Magnext » 19.08.19, 22:40

Thanks all, the customer is checking. At least this customer knows he has a microsoft account.

Return to “Other SSD”