WD20NMVW Donor crisis?

Moderator: Maxim_TS

H3rmes

WD20NMVW Donor crisis?

Postby H3rmes » 26.10.18, 10:12

While waiting for a specific donor drive for a urgent job we've done some donor experimenting and found the following drives fully compatible on headswap even though the models are far apart especially in terms of manufacture date. Hoping this will help someone:

WD20NMVW-11EDZS6
DCM: HBKTJHKB
DATE: 19 April 2016
Thailand
WD blue label

and
WD20NMVW-11AV3S2
DCM: EBMTJHKB
DATE: 25 May 2014
Thailand
WD white/yellow label

Both drives USB 3.0, for this particular case the MJ we're close enough and did not need averaging.
www.falxdatarecovery.com.au
Gold Coast, Australia.

DataMedics
Advanced user

Re: WD20NMVW Donor crisis?

Postby DataMedics » 26.10.18, 15:06

No surprise at all. Within the same WD family, you can freely swap heads by just matching the important part of the DCM and the date. Those are both Shrek LT family. There are even certain families you can use heads with other similar families. Shrek LT is also compatible with Shrek for example.

I personally never use USB drives for heads donors. I always buy a SATA drive of the same family to get the heads. It's usually a lot cheaper and it provides me with the compatible SATA board to use during imaging.

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 31.10.18, 19:42

DataMedics wrote:Source of the post No surprise at all. Within the same WD family, you can freely swap heads by just matching the important part of the DCM and the date. Those are both Shrek LT family. There are even certain families you can use heads with other similar families. Shrek LT is also compatible with Shrek for example.

I personally never use USB drives for heads donors. I always buy a SATA drive of the same family to get the heads. It's usually a lot cheaper and it provides me with the compatible SATA board to use during imaging.

Jared ,
Even For Shrek And Sherk LT ? .Which SATA Drives Do You Use Here For This
Regards
Amarbir S Dhillon ,CDR Labs [ Chandigarh ,India ]
DataRecovery - The Affordable Way In India
Visit - > http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com My Facebook - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 31.10.18, 20:01

Shrek could be a WD20NPVT and LT WD20NPVX

janusch.rolnik

Postby janusch.rolnik » 11.03.20, 14:33

DataMedics wrote:No surprise at all. Within the same WD family, you can freely swap heads by just matching the important part of the DCM and the date. Those are both Shrek LT family. There are even certain families you can use heads with other similar families. Shrek LT is also compatible with Shrek for example.

Hi,
which part of the DCM is important for head swap?

DataMedics
Advanced user

Postby DataMedics » 18.03.20, 22:45

janusch.rolnik wrote:Source of the post
DataMedics wrote:No surprise at all. Within the same WD family, you can freely swap heads by just matching the important part of the DCM and the date. Those are both Shrek LT family. There are even certain families you can use heads with other similar families. Shrek LT is also compatible with Shrek for example.

Hi,
which part of the DCM is important for head swap?

If you have to ask, you have no business changing heads in the first place.

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 24.03.20, 07:18

digitalsupport wrote:Source of the post Shrek could be a WD20NPVT and LT WD20NPVX

Haa Haa ,
Why Try Hunt For SATA in These When our Boxes are flodded with USB drives ,I would say he should give it a GO ,i am 75% plus sure it will work

WD20NMVW-11EDZS6
DCM: HBKTJHKB
DATE: 19 April 2016
Thailand
WD blue label
and
WD20NMVW-11AV3S2
DCM: EBMTJHKB
DATE: 25 May 2014
Thailand
WD white/yellow label
Regards
Visit - > http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com My Facebook - > https://www.facebook.com/chandigarhdatarecovery

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 24.03.20, 10:01

My reply is from 2018, back then SATA drives was easy to get here.

Amarbir[CDR-Labs]
Advanced user

Postby Amarbir[CDR-Labs] » 24.03.20, 10:15

digitalsupport wrote:Source of the post My reply is from 2018, back then SATA drives was easy to get here.

Well ,
These were not 7mm or 9mm drives ,There were fatter like 11mm etc ,They were never maintream ,I disagree to this statement
Regards

digitalsupport
New user

Postby digitalsupport » 24.03.20, 16:32

Yeah - as i said, they are Shrek and Shrek LT SATA drives, easy to get here.

Return to “WD USB”